Monday, July 29, 2013

Laundry room farming





Truth be told, what I really want to be when I grow up is a farmer. I want to grow pumpkins and sunflowers and a bunch of herbs, and I don't know what else, and then I also want to have my own little "farmers market" store. Not that I have a particularly green thumb, or that I would even know how to begin to do all that, but I do know such an endeavor would require resources that I don't have access to. 
     In times past, I've grown some pretty impressive gardens, and it is a mighty source of frustration that, for one reason or another, I haven't been able too for several years. I had a container garden in mind for this summer, but my tiny back yard is currently inhabited by grand dogs, one who is quit large! 
 

This is the wunna be lap dog, Goliath.


These are the actual lap dogs, Jaz and Chux. And also, Baby Duck #3.

     The Chief won't let me plow up the front yard for a garden. So what's a frustrated farmer to do?


Farm in the laundry room, that's what. Now, my laundry room is pretty small, in direct proportion to the rest of the house. Never the less, there are a lot of plants in there. There are more in the dining room, and in and the living room, but here in the laundry room...

there are also sunflowers and tomatoes and


some herbs and bell pepper! Okay, so it's a little late in the season for that type of thing, but I found these cute little kits on clearance at Lowe's home improvement.  

     And that's what I call urban farming.



4 comments:

  1. Val, seems like we have some of the same dreams. I have always dreamed of a very cute roadside market stand. When we bought our farm that was the first thing I thought of, "main highway, busy road, great corner," etc.... My husband is all in favor, we talk about it a lot. BUT... no roadside stand yet. Maybe when the house is built we can focus on that - next summer? Who knows. All I know, is I have the soil, the rain, the perfect Southern growing conditions... but you know what? So does EVERYONE else here in Tenneessee!!! Ha Ha! I see roadside stands that say "free vegetables"! Just my luck, right? :-) Love your blog post; love your urban garden, love that you want a garden in the front yard. WHAT is wrong with men? Why can't they see how awesome it would be?! Hugs.... ~ Dori ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening is good for the soul! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! That's really great! I have so few things that have actually grown or taken, but my Basil, slow as it seems, is still hanging in there! Good for you Mama Duck!

    ReplyDelete