Monday, September 16, 2013

I am not who I think I am

          I somehow find myself in an alternate reality, where everything I thought I knew about myself is an illusion and I am free falling in a surreal universe, more unsure than ever where I actually fit into the world at large.
    For example, until the test today, I have an A in Algebra. And not an A in English. On the rare occasion that I actually get what is going on, I get a kick out of untangling the puzzle that is an algebraic equation. I am not getting a kick out of formal writing (dry, dusty and pretentious) or analyzing literature. (The point is....?)
Also, apparently I have forgotten (if I ever really knew) the rules for comma usage.  Naturally I understand that "I like cooking my family and gin rummy." needs a comma. After cooking, I would guess, but am having some anxiety about whether or not a comma should go after "my family" . My gut feeling is that, yes, there should be a comma there, but I am not 100% positive at this point. When turning "lone" into loneliness, one should leave the "e" right there, as well as in sincere-to-sincerely.  That just makes since when one really ponders the situation, but I have a bad habit of dropping the e. I don't know why.
     When reading the above paragraph, be aware that there is probably a number of comma errors there, and every last one knocks off points.
     Currently, we are reading (or have read, about 15 times) "A Rose For Emily" by Faulkner. Some of you may be aware that this is a short story. Personally, I had never heard of it before. I remember reading "Beowulf", "The Red Badge Of Courage", and "Lord of the Flies" in high school, but I don't remember "A Rose for Emily". Pretty sure I would remember it if we had read it. It's bad enough to be memorable. After reading and woefully misinterpreting the one act play "Trifles", (honestly, I thought that Mr. Wright was just a depressed introverted man without a sense of humor. I missed the whole "emotionally abusive" part.) I read "A Rose For Emily" a bunch of times and then looked up all the Cliff Notes, etc. Honestly. This wasn't really great writing. I had the whole thing figured out pretty quickly. There wasn't a lot of suspense or surprises. I wasn't even surprised by the skeleton in the bed. I already knew that was going to happen. Some of the notes that I studied mention that perhaps her father's control of her is what damaged Emily and caused her mental illness, but early in the story there was mention of an aunt who had been mentally ill, and it was clear then that mental illness was going to play a part in this story.
     I find it almost unbearable that so many people have spent so much time studying this story. What if Faulkner didn't MEAN anything by this story? What if it was JUST A STORY, and not all that well executed? A GOOD story would have some suspense and some surprises, and maybe some sort of redeeming quality. As it is, it is just a dusty, dark story about a woman who was a nut job, and not even interesting.
   
Anywho:
Here is an algebraic equation in word problem form: If you have 500 things to do, and 2000 things to think about in a 24 hour period of time, how much time do you have to devote to each task? Let us call "things to do" D, and let us call "things to think about" T.
D+T=24
500D+2000T=24
D=24-T
500(24-T)+2000T=24
12,000-500T+2000T=24
12,000-1500T=24
1500T=-11,976
T=7.984
D+7.984=24
D=3
You have 7.984 seconds for thinking each thought and 3 seconds for each task.
The end.

2 comments:

  1. AH! The comma thing! That is always an issue for me as the rule has changed since I learned to write! A while back a journalist friend of mine told me { cause I was griping about that very thing!!! } that, in literature or what have you, the comma before the & is dropped in journalism. But sometimes kept for other writing, but is in fact unnecessary! Who knew?!?! Guess you now! ;) Hang in there Mama! It gets better! The first rounds of English are always the suctastic ones! That last tidbit of math.. *brain melting outta my head!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny, and yes, where does the comma go? Thanks for helping me make up my mind that I do not want to take a writing class.

    ReplyDelete