Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer school...a good thing, or not?

I'm not entirely sure that summer school was the best idea ever. I keep changing my mind about that. Monday morning, I would have said that, yes, it was an excellent idea. By Monday evening, I was ready to give up on this college adventure altogether!
Imagine, if you will, what a relief it was to finish the Algebra class that I did not want to take, to have earned an A+, and to feel so accomplished and yet so free! DONE! Algebra conquered! Moving right a long now...
Only to then learn, on the first day of summer school, that oh, well, nobody bothered to clarify this for you, but surprise! You have two more semesters of math to do before you can be done! WHAAA?
If there is one thing I've learned along this college going trail, it's that college personnel don't really want to help you. They pretty much want to give out as little information as possible,and for you to leave them alone and figure it out for yourself!
I was sitting in  my adviser's office Monday afternoon, faced with a choice that  had to be made immediately! Everyone knows that making decisions of this magnitude is a lengthy process of thinking, rethinking, and thinking again! But yet, here he was telling me that I had to decide right that minute if I was going to drop English, or add math! So what I did was panic, and enrolled in math, pulling the money from savings..IE, Joey's headstone fund.
Naturally, only one math class had one opening, and therefore, I had to change English classes. That means that the one class that I did attend was just a waste of time, and by the way, the book that I had purchased for that class is nonreturnable! I had to buy a different book for the new English class! Then I was a day behind in BOTH classes, and a day in summer session is equal to a week! I've been scrambling to catch up, and "scrambling" and "math" don't go well together!
Thus far, i'm glad for the change of English classes. I very much liked that first professor, but the class had a very casual, unstructured feel to it, and we were plunked down in front of computers. In the new class, the professor is actually the head of the department, funny and charismatic, but more formal and structured...and the books we are using are way more interesting. Mr. P is very intellectual and knowledgeable about a variety of things, which is both fascinating and intimidating.
The math class on the other hand....! As Savanna would say, to the garbage with that, yo! I hate it soooo much!! I hate it more than I hated last semester! I hate that we are using an online program. I hate that the class is casual and unstructured and chaotic, and I hate that I have a couple of mediocre homework grades, not because of the Algebra, but because of issues with the computer and program! Click the wrong box just trying to get the stupid thing to CLICK, even though you knew the right answer..BEEEP! WRONG! I miss my little Japanese professor! I miss the traditional classroom setting! This is why I did NOT opt for online classes to start with!
Besides sitting in a classroom for 4 hours every day, I also have 5 or 6 hours of homework daily. So the next month is all about school!
I'm fairly certain that if I had known up front about the math, I would have skipped the summer session. On the other hand, I do enjoy an adrenaline rush and a good challenge!
Also, I am keeping very, very busy. There is not much time to dwell on that elephant in the room that we are all circling around, looking at then glancing away from, grappling with the reality of.... at this very moment, one year ago, we were living Joey's last week of life and had no clue.
I don't know if there is a "right" way to deal with that, but I choose to remember but not to dwell, to continue to make the daily choice not to be sucked into the shadows from which there may be no return, but to walk in the light, and to pass Algebra once again.

Quack Quack!

2 comments:

  1. What's wonderful is.. you will be done much faster right?! <3 You are awesome Miss Mama Duck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VAL!!!!! I have the perfect idea for your career dilema. You need to be a College Admissions Advisor!!! You'd be SO good at it, so helpful, you'd be honest and upfront about what's what, etc.... Ready, Set, GO!!! xoxox (Thinking of you continuously knowing this is a very hard month for you. Love you bunches.) ~ Dori ~

    ReplyDelete